Kendra G. Gjerdingen chairs the firm's Appellate Law Group and handles the legal needs of private and business clients in civil litigation and family law. Her concentration includes family law and jurisdiction, interstate and international custody disputes, appeals, and civil litigation.
Kendra is a leading family law and appellate lawyer in Indiana. She also has extensive experience in jurisdictional disputes. She has represented many clients in Hague Convention cases, as well as those involving interstate custody disputes, in addition to assisting fellow practitioners and members of the judiciary in understanding the complexities involved when parents live in different states or countries.
Kendra utilizes the Family Law Group's team approach to assure that a client's needs are addressed quickly and efficiently. Kendra is a successful litigator with extensive courtroom experience. She also brings her compassion and knowledge to each case, as well as her attention to detail and dedication to civility in the practice of law. Kendra is an advocate of alternative dispute resolution, especially in family law, understanding the importance of reducing conflict in order to reach desired results.
Kendra is a Registered Family Law Mediator and a Certified Family Law Specialist, by the Family Law Certification Board. She is a past-chair of the Indiana State Bar Association Appellate Practice Section. She is a past member of the council of the Family and Juvenile Law Section of the ISBA. Kendra is married to a law professor at the Indiana University Maurer School of Law, and they have two children and three granddaughters.
- Family Law and Jurisdiction
- Interstate and International Custody Disputes
- Civil Litigation
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois
- William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota
- J.D. - 1978
- Honors: cum laude
- Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- M.B.A. - 1990
- Major: Finance
- University of Iowa
- B.A. - 1972
- Named to the Indiana Super Lawyers® list, Family Law, 2009 – 2023
- Recognized by Best Lawyers®, Family Law; Family Law Mediation; Appellate Practice, 2017-2024
- Women Excel Bloomington Award, Greater Bloomington Chamber of Commerce, 2021
- Fred Gregory Pro Bono Excellence Award
- Gale Phelps Award, ISBA Family & Juvenile Law Section
- Indiana Bar Foundation Pro Bono Publico Award
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Family Law Specialist, Family Law Certification Board
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Monroe County Bar Association